What is the difference between a dentist and a periodontist?
Have you recently visited your general dentist and been informed that you need a Periodontist? Are you wondering who is a periodontist, and what do they do? Is your internet search history about finding a periodontist near you in Delaware? If your answer to any of the above question is a yes, then look no further as we break down the difference between a general dentist and a Periodontist in Delaware.
Every periodontist is a dentist, but not all dentists are a periodontist. Let us look at how someone can become a periodontist in Delaware and why you might need one?
A periodontist in Delaware is a dentist who specialises in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of periodontal diseases that means the conditions that affect your gums and area surrounding the tooth structure. A periodontist also specialises in the placement of dental implants in Delaware, which is the most superior treatment modality to replace lost teeth. A periodontist is an expert in treating oral inflammation and maintaining the jaw bone and oral health integrity.
Periodontology is a recognised specialisation in the field of dentistry that requires extensive formal training. Although a general dentist may be able to treat some periodontal ailments, they cannot call themselves a periodontist, so why?
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
A general dentist must complete a four-year undergraduate college degree. After this, they enter a graduate program in an accredited dental school where they graduate with a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Medical Dentistry (DMD) degree, making them a qualified dentist. However, to become a Periodontist, they must complete three additional years of formal training in an American Dental Association- accredited periodontology residency program after dental school. During this time, periodontists go through comprehensive examinations and case management scenarios that give them the experience and knowledge in various aspects of periodontology.
AREAS OF SPECIALISATION OF A PERIODONTIST
- Prevention and diagnosis of periodontal diseases such as gingivitis and periodontitis. A periodontist in Delaware treats complex periodontal diseases, which a general dentist cannot.
- Association between systemic diseases and oral health and its management. Systemic diseases such as diabetes can have disastrous effects on oral health, and only a periodontist can treat such ailments.
- Non-surgical periodontal procedures, such as scaling and root planing.
- Surgical periodontal procedures to restore the integrity of the periodontium, bone grafting and many more.
- Periodontal and oral plastic surgery and medicine for managing recession and restoring the smile.
- Aesthetic oral corrections.
- Dental implant placement for missing teeth.
- Complete periodontal health care treatment and management.
Dr Sanz at Southern Delaware Dental Specialist is a board-certified periodontist who specialises in dental implant placement and treatment of periodontal disorders. If you are looking for a comprehensive approach towards replacing your missing tooth with dental implants near you in Delaware, Dr Sanz and his team at Southern Delaware Dental Specialists are here to assist you and help you to impeccable oral health. If you are suffering from bleeding gums, or have pain in your gums or see a pus discharge, it is a sign to visit us and consult Dr Sanz, a board-certified and proficient periodontist in Delaware, at the earliest. At Southern Delaware Dental Specialists, we aim to provide you, our patient, with the most thorough and cost-effective dental care in your area.