Signs you have a dental cavity
Dental caries, commonly known as dental cavities, are among the most common dental ailments that affect more than 50% of adults in the States.
If caught early dental cavities can be treated with a typical dental filling. Unfortunately, many people report to the clinic when the cavity has advanced and needs more invasive treatments like root canal therapy and, in worst cases, even extraction. Therefore, it is essential to be aware of common signs and symptoms of dental cavities to seek treatment at the correct time and save your pearly whites.
Some of the most common signs and symptoms of a dental cavity are as follows-
- You see a black or brown discoloration with the concerned teeth.
- A hole or a cavity in the teeth.
- Dental cavities can also lead to tooth sensitivity. You may experience a sudden gush of pain when consuming hot, cold, or sweet foods and liquids.
- Pain is one of the most defining symptoms of dental cavities. In early cases, the pain will be intermittent and dull, whereas it can be throbbing and continuous in advanced cases.
- Foul breath is another sign of a dental infection. It can be seen with dental cavities or gum diseases.
- The gums around the affected tooth appear swollen.
- You have pain while chewing.
If caught early and in the initial stages, dental cavities can even be reversed with the help of fluoride treatments. Early diagnosis and prompt treatment at Southern Delaware Dental Specialists will ensure you have a healthy and pain-free smile. Therefore, it is of the utmost importance to schedule regular dental check-ups as it allows you to stay at the top of your oral and overall health!